Real 5G networks and devices won’t be available until early 2019, according to most analysts, but that isn’t going to stop wireless companies from jostling to position themselves as the most technologically advanced and up-to-date. Putting a marketing spin on wireless tech is absolutely nothing new, but what AT&T is doing with its “5G Evolution” is just plain bad.
5G Evolution is AT&T’s name for certain LTE-Advanced technology, which means it’s actually part of the 4G framework, not 5G. Everyone pointed this out when AT&T breathlessly announced 5G Evolution this time last year, but now AT&T is doubling down on the fairytale, announcing that it’s launching 5G Evolution in parts of 117 new markets today, bringing the total number of places where 5G Evolution is available to 141.
BGR Top Deals:
- This $21 accessory will be the best thing that ever happened to your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
- The worst thing about cutting the cord is losing your DVR, but this box fixes the problem
Trending Right Now:
- The Galaxy S9 is definitely no match for Apple’s latest iPhones
- Amazon’s running a lightning deal on the device that lets your phone see where no other phone can
- This is the photo that conspiracy theorists say proves the Moon landing was a fraud
Source: FS – Phones – News
AT&T is doubling down on fake 5G